Working from home has many benefits, such as not having to deal with the stress of a morning commute, and being able to be home for your kids if you’re a mother. But as many of you know, working from home can be just as stressful as working out of the home, if not more stressful, because you have to balance your work at home responsibilities with your other responsibilities. This blog post will provide some ideas for relieving work at home stress.
- Set your priorities – if you don’t have time, or can’t realistically accommodate someone else’s request, don’t agree to it. When it comes to things that have to get done during the day, prioritize your tasks so that the most important things get done first.
- Keep a positive attitude – It’s not always easy, but keeping a positive attitude helps control your stress level. You can help keep a positive attitude by keeping an inspiring picture at your desk, or remembering a positive quote that you can repeat to yourself when things get stressful.
- Do a workout – In addition to being good for your physical health, workouts help control your stress level too. One of my favorite ways to relieve stress is to do a kickboxing workout and pretend I’m punching or kicking the source of my stress.
- Practice deep breathing exercises – Deep breathing is a great way to relieve stress because it helps slow your heart rate down. Next time things get stressful, take a short break and take a few deep breaths – you’ll notice that your heart rate starts to slow down and you’ll feel less stressed.
- Read a book – When you have time to take a longer break, use it to read a chapter or short section of your favorite book. Sometimes slipping into someone else’s world will help you forget about the stresses in your own world for a little while.
- Treat yourself – After a stressful day, treat yourself to something that will help you unwind, such as a pedicure, massage, or bubble bath.
These are just a few ideas for relieving work from home stress – I would be interested to hear any other techniques that you use to relieve stress during your work day.