How to Deal with Depression While Working From Home

Dealing with Depression when Working from home

A few weeks ago I found out I am expecting my third child and every since my body has started revolting into depression mode. I am very excited about the baby, but I’m already a worrier and an anxious person. It’s like everything has just hit me at once and I wasn’t sure how to handle it. So, I have been dealing with episodes of depression and trying to handle it. When you work at home you are already prone to some depression, just because you are not interacting on a regular basis with people and you do not naturally get out as much. Since I’m about to have my third child in a few short months it’s clear that I can’t let depression get the best of me, so how am I going to deal with it?

#1. Talk to your doctor

Especially with being pregnant I do not want to sink into depression. It’s no fun in any shape or form. I plan on talking to my doctor at my next appointment because I know there are suggestions they can give me that I can’t find anywhere else. Plus, it’s best to keep tabs on depression at all times because it can get out of control fast.

#2. Take breaks more often

One of the reasons I have been so stressed and getting depressed is because the amount of money another baby costs. So it’s like a catch-22. You are stressed about work, but you also need to make more money. I’ve been taking more breaks and putting my health first. If my mind and body are suffering then I am not going to get anywhere in my career or home life.

#3. Eat a lot healthier

I understand that getting access to healthy foods is hard when money is already tight for some of you, but eating healthy is so important. Eating carrots, broccoli, and other vegetables really do make you function better. Our bodies need those foods so we can live each day to its fullest.

#4. Talking to people about your depression

I think depression is a taboo subject. Everyone thinks that there is something wrong with you if you suffer from it. It runs in my family and I don’t suffer from it very often but lately I have been. It doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with you or you are a bad person. Talk to people about it so you can get your feelings out there. The more you try to hide and avoid it then the worse off it will get.

I’ve realized that worrying and anxiety will whirl you into depression fast. Take each day at a time and do what you can. I think as a work at home community talking about depression is important because a lot of us suffer from it.

Will you share your story?

You never know who may  benefit from simply knowing someone else has been there. We would love to know how depression has affected your life and how you deal or are dealing with it.

If you need Imediate Help with your Depression please call the Depression Hotline, it’s a free call and you can speak to a counselor right away.

DEPRESSION CLINICS HOTLINE 1-888-771-5166

Comments

1. says

This post is absolutely needed in the work at home community. I think it’s a subject that is often ignored and like you said, taboo. I suffer from depression greatly although I have not been diagnosed (but when you feel like crap 24/7 amongst other factors, I think it’s safe to say you are depressed!).

I’m also pregnant, so dealing with different emotions and tiredness is entirely new for me and there are days where I wish I could do what I could do 9 months ago, but my body just can’t do it and like you mentioned, your health and body come first, which is definitely something I’m still working on!

I hope others come across this post and just realize they aren’t alone! Thanks for the post!

2. Miranda GrimmMiranda Grimm says

Thank YOU Jess!

I will take lead and share my experiences with Depression.

Mine comes from the child’s stand-point. My mother dealt with depression as I grew up. I cannot express enough how important it is to seek help immediately. Just as Jess said, it can get out of control quick!

To a child, they don’t understand and many may feel a sense of responsibility. It is hard to have parents who are physically there, but mentally somewhere else.

I also went through some depression earlier this year when faced with problems that I was not comfortable sharing with friends or family. It was hard to battle issues all alone. Eventually I opened up to an online friend and found that simply sharing what I was going through really relived my mind.

I still deal with it but it doesn’t control my life.

3. Faith says

I dealt with the depression of a parent as well, and it runs even deeper in my family. My grandmother succomed to it in the worst possible way, and my aunt and uncle have also struggled. I was blessed that my parents handled it responsibly, but it was still a struggle, and one watch for carefully in my own life. I find I struggle worse with anxiety than depression, but still… both can be debilitating. Thanks for sharing Jess;)

4. says

Jess,

You are very brave for sharing this. When I first found out I was pregnant with my third – currently due to 26th of this month – I was also very depressed. I was depressed because the pregnancy was unplanned and I had just had a baby back in July 2011 and I knew this new bundle of joy was going to cause me to need to make even more money. Depression was not something I could discuss with friends or family because they did not understand. So, I turned to discussion forums and online chat rooms for advice. Some of the advice was good and helped while other advice made me feel even worse. Eventually, I was able to get my life back on track and out of the slump mood I was in but it took taking breaks from work more frequently – as you mentioned -, going out to do things instead of just sitting at home sulking, hiring a nanny for a few hours a week to help me out with my other children, and doing little things for myself. Depression is something that is very real yet a lot of people fail to realize this until they are actually experiencing it themselves.

Congrats on your pregnancy and hang in there.

• Jess Weaver says

Thanks Victoria. I see you welcome your beautiful baby boy into the world. In a few short weeks we will be finding out what we’re having! Very exciting. My depression has lifted a bit, but those spouts are still there!

5. says

I have bipolar disorder, and I tend to be on the depressive side with anxiety. While working from home helps, having a work from home job with as much flexibility as possible is a must for me at this point. To be able to set my own schedule and work when I want to works the best. I find that non-phone jobs work the best as well. I’m hoping to two WAH jobs I have now do the trick for me as far as flexibility and paying enough to support myself. Wish me luck!

6. angela. says

I needed to see this today. WAHM here, with number two on the way. Yes, I have been more depressed than usual lately and it is something that is common in the WAH community.